Saturday, September 11, 2010

35 weeks today. Still in extreme pain and not sleeping but, starting my primrose evening oil next week to get things moving along;) I've finally come to terms with reality and just basically telling myself that there is no possible way I can be pregnant in November!

I was at a baby shower last night and an interesting conversation came up. I had commented on how stunned I was when a lady calmed a crying baby down that was not hers. She remarked "oh, I nurse him every once in a while so he probably just smells my milk". Now, I had just met her at the shower and so figuring that I misheard her I felt too stupid to comment into it further. Although, I'm pretty sure I heard her right! I thought my good friend was sitting right next to me when all this went down, so when "wetmama" left I asked my friend about it. I guess she hadn't been sitting there after all and was equally stunned at what I was saying. Then our third friend chimes in and starts saying "oh yea, so and so nursed my baby while I was in a work conference". I guess she had pumped milk and left it with the baby but her best friend that had been watching the baby just decided to nurse him instead. Although, they had talked previously if an emergency had every come up how each other would feel about it... blah blah blah. I sat stunned. Not in a judging way. More in the sense of would I ever do that?! Or would I ever want someone to actually nurse my baby if there was an emergency type situation. I've never heard of anyone I know doing that. I'm sure it's normal is some part of the world, but right here in my own circle?

My main conclusion that I came up with is this.... I don't think I could ever nurse or let my baby be nursed by anyone else. It's such a personal thing for me and a way to bond with my baby... it would be weird bonding with another baby. I do think however, that I would maybe pump and give it to a baby if there was some kind of emergency and vise versa. It did really get me thinking though. I wonder what other people would do?!

1 comment:

The Petersons said...

I am with you on that one. I don't think I could nurse someone elses baby..or let them nurse mine, but I would pump. I am definitely not a "you must give your kid breastmilk or you are a loser" type person. Formula is fine with me, but I will nurse for as long as I can as, as you stated, it is so bonding. =)