Thursday, September 25, 2008

And so goes life

One day as Dave was endlessly researching out Bibles, I decided to pick up the shack and find a comfy chair. I had heard the name thrown around a couple of times (along with a couple of other words) and decided to check it out for myself. Well, this was one of the faster trips to the bookstore so I only got to start the first couple of pages. I was hooked. I had to find someone with a copy.

Through a process of events I was blessed with the book. I love it. I'm only half way through it so I have a ways to go, but it has already touched my heart. One of my favorite parts without trying to give too much away is the scene of the man sitting at the table with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. He is going on telling them about his family and then all of a sudden he realizes that they all already know everything he is going to say. The Three went on to explain that they were limiting themselves to cultivate that relationship with this man, to love and honor him.

The author describes God as looking like a big southern African American woman. Warm, kind, and gentle... I found it sweet.

Well, I had my official "interview" today to come on staff here at IHOP. I've been procrastinating like I do with everything else in my life. Putting it off followed by more putting it off. Until finally my gentle husband has to hold my hand to go and turn in my application. My appointment was today with a big southern African American woman. She was the most gentle, kind, and sweetest woman I have ever talked to. I just stared at her in amazement! It was almost funny! The meeting went well. I am officially on staff now. She prayed for me at the end and in her prayer was "Can a woman forget her child and have not compassion on the son of her womb? Surly they may forget, but I will not forget you." I was stunned. That was a word that was spoken at our wedding and has sat on my heart since. It was a precious moment for me.

Growth means change and
change involves risks, stepping
from the know to the unknown.
- author unknown

It's kinda scary stepping into the unknown!

1 comment:

The Petersons said...

I am reading The Shack right now too. Good book. Very interesting. Not quite and easy, quick read...takes some times to chew things over and process. That is quite funny about your interview. =)